Tuesday 4 December 2012

My Next Big Thing has Already Been Delivered!

















Gwen Kirkwoodauthor of Scottish family sagas, has invited me to take part in a blog event entitled THE NEXT BIG THING - a series of questions and answers about what’s happening next in my writing life, and actually for me, the next big thing has already been delivered; so here we go!

What is the title of your book?
It’s called Postcards and Suntan Cream.

How did you come by the idea?
It’s a collection of short stories with a summery theme. Postcards and Suntan Cream is the title of the first one, and I thought it would be good for the book itself.

What genre does your book fall under?
A variety. The stories are about women of all ages from young to old. There are romantic ones, thoughtful ones, funny ones and a couple of trips back to the Sixties. That’s why I’ve got another beautifully nostalgic cover by Samantha Groom.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters if it were a movie?
In the Postcards story, I would have Carey Mulligan playing Ellie in the past, and Julie Christie playing her today, but I don’t think she’s anywhere near eighty yet!

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Twelve super summer stories that you can relax with, whatever the weather.

Will your book be self-published or traditional?
I have self-published it as a paperback and an e-book. I’m getting quite good at formatting!

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
I wrote the stories two years ago, and then came back to them this year to edit them for the collection.

What other books would you compare yours to within your genre?
I enjoyed Loves Me Loves Me Not, the RNA anthology of short stories,
but I can’t compare myself to such great writers!

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
Many things. A lot of the stories are based on my experiences in the hotel industry, and others are based on places I’ve visited. I always keep a holiday diary.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
There is a ghostly element!

As this has been a very popular blog event, it's been difficult to find someone who hasn't answered the questions already. Therefore, Rhoda Baxter, author of smart romantic comedy, and I are sharing Catherine Miller, a member of The Romaniacs who has had a lot of success with flash fiction and short stories, and she will be taking part next Tuesday, 4th December. 
So please visit her blog then, and hear all about her Next Big Thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment