Monday 23 April 2012

Summer of the Eagles is a Novel to be Enjoyed by Young Teenagers or the Young at Heart!


I first 'met' Ros Gemmell through the Romantic Novelists' Association,  when she helped me to set up the links from the cover of my book (that you can see to your right) to Amazon and Smashwords.
She is a busy Scottish writer who writes in may genres, and Summer of the Eagles is a mystical adventure for young teenagers, set on a Scottish island.
Thirteen year old Stevie, orphaned and injured in an accident, is taken to her aunt's on Cumbruach to heal both her body and mind, but here she discovers poachers out to steal eagles' eggs from the nest high on the island, and Karig, a mysterious boy, who watches over her.
It is told in a gentle style that brings out the beauty of the island, and describes how Stevie grows up physically and mentally during her stay there. Definitely a satisfying book to take on holiday. Especially if you are off to the Scottish Islands!
If you've been following my blog, you'll know that this is the third book I've read recently aimed at teenagers. I've enjoyed them all and it's been interesting looking at life from a different point of view.
Classic children's books have stood the test of time because they have been good reads for adults as well, and I hope that these books will be enjoyed by a wide audience for years to come.

The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean

New Beginnings by Rebecca Emin

Lastly, I have read Summer of the Eagles and New Beginnings on my Kindle -  my first ever books! I have to admit that it hasn't been too bad. I still love real books though and I might just buy these two again in paperback because I loved them so!
Have you ever bought a book in paperback after reading it on your Kindle?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, thanks so much for that lovely review, Jean! I really appreciate it and I'm so glad you enjoyed Summer of the Eagles. I too like reading children's books.

    There's a lovely YA Irish-American author on my Flights of Imagination blog today who you might enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading Summer of the Eagles.

    I have a kindle but do still love reading paperbacks!I thought having the kindle would stop me buying so many and give my bookcase some breathing space but I've found that not to be the case.

    ReplyDelete