Wednesday 12 October 2011

Self-Publishing Gipsy Moth at Last with Direct POD!


After a flurry of activity in the summer, researching into self-publishing, I began to have second thoughts and didn't do any more. Then the other Sunday, my husband was reading in the paper (on his i-Pad) about success in self-publishing and said I should really give it a try, so by the end of the day I had enquired about having a cover designed, more about that in a later blog, and I had asked for some quotes to have it printed! My aim is to have it ready for a book signing at a local farmer's market in November!
I wanted to have 100 copies printed to see how they sold, and it's amazing just how much that costs! In the end, I decided to go with Direct POD, because they gave an online quote immediately, which proved to be the best out of all the others.
We visited them yesterday to just see what their finished books were like and Clare was very helpful, answering all my questions patiently and apart from giving me a sample copy of one of their books, she also gave us a tour of their vast printing works where my book will be printed!
I felt that, at last, it was really happening!
Afterwards we asked about a good place to have lunch, and she suggested The Aviator at Sywell Aerodrome. Perfect, as my book is all about flying a Gipsy Moth! The hotel is situated in the original club house, and they have kept all the old panelling, windows and fittings to give it the real atmosphere of the 1930s. We even saw a small plane come in to land! I hope it's a good omen for my book!

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating post Jean, I'm just about to do my first Kindle publication having found someone really good who has designed a cover and done the format for a very reasonable fee. Good luck with yours, let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete